The Road More Traveled
Receiving your auto insurance renewal and seeing that your rates have increased can feel very personal. I know, I've had that feeling on a number of occasions over the years. Even understanding how insurance rates are set, it doesn't make me feel any better to see a rate increase.
Thoughts that may cross your mind:
- "I've been with the same company for years!"
- "I pay on time; my driving record's clear!"
- "But my cars are getting older!"
The reality is our region continues to show immense population growth, resulting in more traffic congestion without room to build more lanes. The more cars on the road, the more accidents and fender benders happen, on a daily basis.
Here are a few key indicators in what's driving auto rates higher and higher:
- Increasing population and congestion resulting in greater claims frequency
- A dramatic rise in distracted driving due to texting and new gadgets (please leave your phone in your pocket or purse while driving!)
- Advanced technology (sensors in bumpers, for example) makes for expensive repairs
- Double-digit inflation in medical costs, year after year